Town of Baie Verte
PO Box 218 | 32 Highway 410
Baie Verte, Newfoundland & Labrador
Telephone (709) 532-8222
info@townofbaieverte.ca
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Search Website
  • 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg


Home > Residents > Our History

Our History


Town History


Baie Verte was first settled by the French in the late 1600's. English settlers arrived in the late 1870's but the French controlled the area until 1904.


In 1911, with a population of 68, there were lumbers, fishermen, mechanics, miners, a few trappers (beavers) and one office worker.


In 1939, Mrs. Ella Whalen opened the first post and telegraph office. The following year, planes were used instead of dog teams to deliver mail in winter. Boats were used during the summer months. A Bank of Nova Scotia opened in 1957.

In 1958, the town was incorporated with William Eaton as town mayor. Over the years, Baie Verte has changed from a lumber town to a mining town.



Industry History



In the late 1930s, Baie Verte became a depot for Bowater Pulp and Paper Company. Bowater employed over 600 men, not all residents of Baie Verte. The company built a staff house, manager's house, clinic, warehouse and store. The first manager of Bowater was Ronald Porter, followed by Roy Johnson and John Bulley. A first aid man ran the clinic during its first few years of operation. Then a nurse and doctor (Dr. Howse) took over.


During the 1850s, the Terra Nova Mine (a copper/sulfur mine) opened. The mine was in operation until 1916 and, while in operation, employed approximately 200 men.


In 1955, George McNaughton and Norman Peters discovered asbestos in Baie Verte. Asbestos became a very valuable mineral and was in very high demand. Advocate Mines Ltd. (owned by John Mansville) was in operation mining asbestos in 1963. It was an open-pit mine which employed 500 people. There was a week-long shutdown in 1981 and another for three months the following year. Baie Verte Mines Inc. reopened the mine in 1982. After that time, there were several temporary shutdowns. In 1991, Teranova took over the mine. It then changed from a dry to a wet processing mine. In turn, the number of employees decreased to between 70 and 80. TeraNova mines closed permanently in 1995.


Consolidated Rambler Mines Ltd. opened in 1964. It employed approximately 200 men. This mine closed in 1982.


Unlike in previous years, Baie Verte's economic base is not presently dependent upon mining. At present, one mining company still operates in Baie Verte. Richmont operates at Nugget Pond, which is located between Snook's Arm and Nipper's Harbour, and they are mining for gold.


Click any link below for more residential related information:

Recreation
Events Calendar
Town News
Classified Ads
Fire Department
Fire Prevention
Waste Disposal
Library
Schools
Famous Faces
Town of Baie Verte
Telephone (709) 532-8222
Fax: (709) 532-4134
PO Box 218 | 32 Highway 410
Newfoundland & Labrador A0K 1B0
Email: info@townofbaieverte.ca
The Heart of a Town,
Lies in It's People


Website Designed by Glacier Cove Web Design
© Copyright 2017 Town of Baie Verte
Website Administration   |   Newsletter Unsubscribe